LTrace helps the staff to ensure that:
- the correct instrument is being sterilised
- that all instruments are present on a tray or bowl
- it is correctly laid out
- any additional instructions are followed
The item is tracked to a specific sterilisation batch. The results of the sterilisation batch can be recorded.
If, in the future, it is discovered that there was a problem with a sterilised item it is possible to determine:
- who prepared the item for sterilisation
- what other items were sterilised in the same load/batch
- who accepted the load/batch after sterilisation
Items can then be recalled if necessary.
Process – packing
When the staff start to pack an item they will find it in the LTrace software. This can be achieved by:
- scanning a barcode on the tray/bowl/instrument, or
- searching for its name in the database, or
- navigating through a group/subgroup structure
Once the correct item is found, LTrace will display:
- a photo of the item (if available)
- instructions on what to do (if required)
- an inventory of all instruments and quantities
- access to photos of each instrument (if available)
Once the item has been packed the operator will create a label and optionally a count sheet. The label is stuck to the outside of the parcel. If any items are missing extra stickers are printed detailing what is missing.
Process – sterilising
The aim is to link every item with the load/batch that it is sterilised in. This can be done by:
- automatically assigning it to the next load when printing the label. No additional staff intervention is required.
- scanning a bar code on the trolley and then scanning the items on the trolley.
- selecting the items in software and adding them to a trolley.
Once a trolley has been sterilised it will be inspected and either passed or failed in LTrace. This process takes less than a minute.